Monday, September 1, 2008

Summer Foods

Dave and I are going to a dinner Saturday night. We're going to be in San Diego and my best friend Maureen and her neighbor Julie are having a small get-together for six people. I just got this email forward from Maureen:


Okay, we will set dinner for 7:30 pm
I am going to make a baked Salmon Filet with Sesame-Ginger Crust and wild rice.
Maureen is making a summer - tomato, corn and olive salad and a bitter sweet chocolate and orange torte for dessert.
So if you guys would bring an appetizer and bread – I think that it would round out the dinner
.


I'll say that ought to round out dinner. This is a summer dinner, it's going to be warm and muggy in San Diego and I don't think I could think of a more perfect menu if I tried. Even better, Dave and I have been told not to bring anything because we're coming in from out of town. So we get to enjoy this feast without any of the labor. Which isn't to say we won't be bringing a bottle of champagne to add to the festivities.*

I generally lose weight in hot weather because, like my cats, my appetite is slim and all I want to do is find a cool patch of linoleum and take a nap. I crave things like ice cream and cold salads. Which is funny 'cause when I think of summer foods, corn on the cob, barbecued hamburgers, hot dogs and steaks are the first thing that pop into my head. Classic beach cookout fare.

What about you? What's your favorite summer snack or meal? Enquiring minds wanna know...

*This post is being written in advance as I'll be on vacation (see above re: San Diego) and doubt I'll be spending much time online. So next post I expect I'll tell you all about the dinner and if the menu lived up to my expectations! I mean...bittersweet chocolate/orange torte? Drooool.....

And I thought I'd post dated this, but I only saved it as a draft! D'oh!!!!!

No comments: