Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Public Service Announcement

We lost power in Indiana from Hurricane Ike and had to replace all our food.... And then our refrigerator died in my absence and now we have to replace the refrigerator AND all the food. --sigh-- But we feel lucky that we're ABLE to. If you have a Dare to Care or a Community Services office or a food pantry, now is the time to donate. A lot of people who depend on those services or on food stamps for food LOST food in the power outage, so community relief services have had their requests double this month! My church is taking up a second offering for Community Services (with the plates passed by the children, who don't leave until you drop something in--heh heh) and my mother and I have formed a habit of just buying some extra stuff, as if we had guests coming, and taking that extra by the Community Services building. Wherever you are, there are people in need, usually through no fault of their own (certainly through no fault of their kids). Those of us who have plenty can make a personal difference to folks who have great need. Spread the word.

4 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

Sorry for the trouble this all has caused you! You have thought of others during a tough time, and reminded us to do the same.

zhadi said...

Jeez louise, Marian, I'm so sorry to hear about that! Both the fridge and the food... I've never heard of any of the services you listed; is there anything those of us out here in CA can do to help? A link to these services, perhaps?

zhadi said...

Jeez louise, Marian, I'm so sorry to hear about that! Both the fridge and the food... I've never heard of any of the services you listed; is there anything those of us out here in CA can do to help? A link to these services, perhaps?

Marian Allen said...

Harrison County Community Services is http://www.hccsi.net/ and Dare to Care is http://daretocare.org/. I'm sure there are also similar programs anywhere, or at least community or church food pantries. It breaks your heart to go in there and see moms and dads with little kids, and one time I overheard an elderly gentleman asking, "Do you have any fruit? I haven't had any fruit in the longest time." The next time I bought for my "guests" I included a few cans of peaches. :)