Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's Jonathan Apple Time!


We were driving home from Los Angeles today and I noticed splashes of autumn color among the trees lining the sides of the road. Fall chill has been in the air, that crisp tang that hits California mid/late September...and tells me it's just about time for Jonathan apples!

Sure, you've got your Fujis, your Galas, Pink Ladies, MacIntosh, and Granny Smiths. All have their place in the Apple Pantheon. You've also got the ubiquitous and humongous Red Delicious (sorry, anything but), those huge, abnormally red apples that look like they should have the evil queen in Snow White attached to them. But those don't count. I've tasted Appletinis with more apple flavor (and more kick!) in them. Not that I expect my apples to get me tipsy. I wouldn't MIND, of course, but it's not expected. I just hate biting into an apple and getting a lackluster, vaguely apple-esque taste...more like the faded memory of what an apple should taste like. DisaPPOINTed...

But Jonathan apples...tart, sweet, luscious to the last bite. And I'm talking down to the core. No, past the core. Everything but the stem and the seeds. They really are that good. So i will be haunting the grocery store for their appearance and, in the tradition set forth by my mom, buy at least three pounds and eat my apple a day. And then go buy more until the sad day arrives, as it must, when Jonathan apples are no longer in season.

5 comments:

Marian Allen said...

"Wicked Queen attached"--Heeee! Yes, first day of fall--crisp apples, apple crisps, pumpkin everything.... Yum!

Gayle said...

Sounds yummy, Dana! I don't know if I've ever had a Jonathan apple. I'll have to see if any of the stores around here carry them. My faves are the Golden Delicious. :-)

zhadi said...

Your 'heeeee' pleases me mightiliy, Marian! I thought of that line when I was driving back from L.A. and it made me giggle. Apple crisp...oh lordy...droool!!!!

Are Golden Delicious better than Red Delicious? I haven't had a good one of those in years and wonder if they're being genetically engineered or something weird... But yes, do try a Jonathan! They are simply the best!

Donis Casey said...

I also must have an apple a day, and I must have tried them all! For eating raw, I like them crisp crisp crisp and sweet. Delicious of all varieties tend to be too mushy for me. We have some great orchards in S. Arizona that grow wonderful little Galas and Fujis. I wait for the Honeycrisps every year. They just became available and I stocked up. They are wonderfully crisp, but sadly the batch at my Whole Foods is not as sweet this year. I'll be looking for the Jonathans.

zhadi said...

Honey crisps...those sound wonderful! And Donis, I am so with you on the sweet and crisp! Mushy apples are always a disappointment...