Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Greetings and Eatings from Hilton Head


I write this post from glorious Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The mood is relaxed, and the food is GOOD!
On our first night, I ate barbecued shrimp, hush puppies, and cole slaw. The next day, I heated up leftover shrimp and had them over cheese grits.
This area of the country has a special cuisine called Lowcountry. A signature Lowcountry dish is shrimp and grits. Many menus down here will include some version of this dish. At a farmer's market in Columbia, South Carolina, one of the most popular offerings was a breakfast of shrimp and grits for $5. For dinner, the dish is often spiced up with some sausage or pieces of ham. Sometimes the grits are fried into little cakes with a shrimp topping poured over them. This link provides a recipe for shrimp and grits from none other than my favorite cook, Paula Deen:

1 comment:

zhadi said...

Oh, wonderful oink oink for Southern food... I love it so...and it loves me...I know by the way it sticks to my tummy...

I'm jealous, Lisa!!!