Sunday, September 7, 2008

Coffee Mug Cake...or Why Dani is Evil

I was minding my own business, writing on my WIP, checking email, when I received this email from Dani at Blog Book Tours and Pennydreadful.

Most Dangerous Chocolate Cake Recipe in the World

MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
> 1 Coffee Mug
> 4 tablespoons flour(that's plain flour, not self-rising)
> 4 tablespoons sugar
> 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
> 1 egg
> 3 tablespoons milk
> 3 tablespoons oil
> 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
> Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using)
and vanilla, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for
3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but
don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if
desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to share!)

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!
I wrote back to Dani, told her she was evil and then confessed I'd been making a variation of this recipe since I was a teenager, except I called them 'gooeys.' I'd use little ramekins, take the recipe for brownies or chocolate chip cookies, use minute amounts of each ingredient (but add extra chocolate chips) and nuke them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, until it had risen a bit, but was still molten and gooey on the inside. Hence the name 'gooey.'

When I make chocolate chip cookies and don't cook all the batter, I will put a spoonful on a plate and nuke it for 30 seconds and get an instant cookie without the temptation of an entire dozen. So see? Gooeys are good for you!

I made the Coffee Mug Cake recipe this weekend, btw. I added extra chips, of course...and stretched it out over three days because the recipe really does make enough to either share or savor over a short period of time. My gooeys are more of a one shot affair. Either way, though, you'll get a chocolate treat.

5 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Dani is evil, and you're an accomplice. Printed and saved....

zhadi said...

Yeah, I guess she's sort of the Jedi Knight to my Padawan... Dark side of the FOrce, here we come! As in chocolatey Dark Side! HAH!

Gayle said...

I have to admit I prefer the Dark Side to Chew Broccoli. (Have you seen the Grocery Store Wars video? Too funny.) And I think Dani is terrific for giving us this recipe. Join us, Marian. Join us. The light/white chocolate side of the force is good, too; but the dark side is better. :P

Marian Allen said...

You're too late to seduce me to the Dark Side--I am already SO THERE! I sent a copy of the recipe to an ex-son-in-law in his birthday card. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

zhadi said...

Make sure you tell 'em to undercook it rather than overcook it! Or underNUKE it, as the case would be.

I have seen Grocery Store Wars...I think. I believe I've seen every STar Wars take off ever... My ex is a total Star Wars geek. :-)