Saturday, August 30, 2008

What's For Dinner?


This image has nothing to do with anything, but I just learned how to upload photos, and I had to put something on here, even if I didn't have anything food related.  I got a new computer a few weeks ago, and I'm still learning all the ins and outs.  One of the ins I haven't studied yet is how to upload new photos from the camera to the computer, so at this point, I'm limited to using pictures I already have in my photo file.  This pic was taken last October when I did an event at Tattered Cover in Denver along with Mara Purl.  I chose it because I like the outfit.  The bookstore did serve cookies and punch, so we'll call that the food connection.

More on-theme:  I've been working feverishly on a new book for the past couple of months.  Not making a lot of progress, but working hard nonetheless.  One of the sad consequences of my current single-mindedness is that when evening comes, I never, never, never have the slightest idea what we're going to have for dinner.  I guarantee that whatever we choose is going to be easy.  Sandwiches, spaghetti, and pizza are common fallbacks.  

In the olden days, in pre-take-out and restaurant days, when a woman physically worked a heck of a lot harder than most do now, the usual thing to do was to have a set and rotating menu for every day of the week.  That way,  she didn't have to do much meal planning.  If it was Monday, she knew it would be a pot of beans. (Monday = washday = put on beans early in the morning and let them simmer all day).  Friday was usually a stew. (Clean the week's leftovers out of the icebox.)  A lot of it had to do with what was in season.  No tomatoes in March, unless they were canned.  No fresh salads in January.  

I think sometimes I should develop a rotating weekly menu for writing season, when spaghetti is always ripe. 

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Terrific picture, Donis! By the way, I LOVE ripe spaghetti. ;-)

Donis Casey said...

Thanks, Gayle. I love spaghetti, too, and there's so much you can do with it. I'll bet one could do an entire cookbook full of spaghetti recipes.