Friday, August 15, 2008

Oklahoma, Sugar!


Although mentioned in the title, this post is not for Sugar alone. :-)

Actually, I'm going to the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show at the end of September. In attempting to introduce cake decorators to Murder Takes the Cake, I called Jo Ellen Simon of the River City Confectioners Association. She was warm and encouraging and told me I should talk with Kerry Vincent. If you've ever seen a Food Network cake challenge competition, you're familiar with Ms. Vincent. She gave me Ms. Vincent's e-mail address, and I sent her a message. She promptly responded with her phone number. I called and she was delightful. She was excited about the book and invited me to come to the Oklahoma State Sugar Arts Show, as it would be the perfect setting for a cake decorating mystery. I told her I would be there on September 27, notebook in hand. Actually, I'll have a notebook in one hand and a camera in the other. I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to post upon my return.

Naturally, I have several posts to write between now and September 27, but I was so thrilled about this I had to go ahead and write about it. Plus, if there are any cake decorators who read Fatal Foodies who will be at the show, I'd love to meet you!

6 comments:

Lisa Hall said...

You will see some amazing cakes, and I bet you will sell lots of books! Sounds so fun!

Donis Casey said...

OMG, you're going to Oklahoma, you lucky person. Where is the Sugar Festival going to be held?

zhadi said...

This is very cool!!! I expect you to take lots of pictures too!

Sorry about being MIA this week - I had a cat bite go VERY bad Monday afternoon and haven't been able to use that hand for the last couple of days...

Gayle said...

Hi:

The festival is going to be held in Tulsa. And, Dana, I'm so sorry about the cat bite. Been there, done that. It's a long story so I won't go into it here, but I was attacked by a cat after he'd been MIA for several days. It took me AND my husband to get him off me. By that time, I had a bitten hand and a shredded right foot and leg. The antibiotics they gave me at the ER were no picnic either. Take care of yourself!

Marian Allen said...

Have fun at the sugar convention. I'm not diabetic, but I'm going into a coma just thinking about it.

Take a gander at these:
http://www.louisvilleweddingcake.com/

I've never actually met Leah Stewart, but she's in the WorldWide Recipes groups with me and she would have done my youngest daughter's wedding cake if daughter could have made up her mind in time!

zhadi said...

Oooh, boy, Gayle, that sounds MUCH worse than either of the cat bites I've had that required antibiotics! You poor thing! This time around I only had to take the Cipro orally THe first time, I had to be hospitalized overnight on intraveneous antibiotics and then a nurse did outcall intravenous meds at home for five days. Ugh.