Friday, August 22, 2008

"And it was still hot"


August has two big events within days of each other for our family. The kids have to start back to school, and I have to have another birthday. I mention the birthday because when my husband asked what I wanted, I--for once--had a quick answer. The Hallmark "Where the Wild Things Are" ornament. When Nicholas and Lianna were small, Tim and I had to read that book to them every night. We had it memorized. Nicholas even had a "Wild Fang" puppet and a Max wearing a wolf suit. If your children are fans of "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak, then you'll recognize that the title of this post is the last line of that book. Although the book was written before I was even born, my brother had it; and it was a favorite of mine as a child, too.

The children went back to school on Wednesday. Since food represents nourishment in so many different ways, it was important to me that when they came home it was to "good things to eat." (Yes, that's another "Wild Things" reference. Max smelled "good things to eat" and that led him back home to his room where his supper was waiting for him. "And it was still hot."). I put chicken breasts and foil-covered ears of corn in the crock pot (one of my daughter's favorite meals) and I made a brownie and decorated it like a cake (they both love those). They came home to the comforting smells of chicken and chocolate--"good things to eat"--and Mom, who missed them very much and who will always provide a safe haven and a hot meal.

Here's is the really easy chicken recipe:

Ingredients:

Chicken (frozen or thawed)
2 cans or 1 family-sized can of cream of chicken soup

Put chicken in the crock pot. Pour soup over the top (don't add water). To include ears of corn, wrap the corn (I usually use frozen) in aluminum foil and put on top.

See? I told you it was easy. :-)

Now, wild things, let's shake off this melancholy and "let the wild rumpus start!"

5 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Saved as WILD RUMPUS REALLY EASY CHICKEN AND CORN. I loved that book when my youngest was little. Have you seen the animated version, using the Sendek illustrations, narrated by Peter Schickle? It's on a double with IN THE NIGHT KITCHEN. Milk! Milk! Milk for the morrrrning cake!

Gayle said...

I haven't seen that, but I imagine I would love it. Right now I have children's books on the brain for some reason (back to school, I suppose). Last night I dreamed I wrote a children's book called If You Give an Elephant a Chalupa, not to be confused with the popular children's books If You Give a Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. It's probably a really good thing it's Friday. I think I need some rest.... :-)

Lisa Hall said...

I'll have to check out the ornament. "Where the Wild Things Are" was my husband's favorite book when he was a kid. One Father's Day, I got him a copy as a gift from our little girl.

zhadi said...

I love that book...and the food sounds good too. I think you need to write that book, Gayle!

MrsL said...

Cooking and a good book, is there anything better?

Ginny -thedivinemrsl