Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tomatoes Without The Danger!





Summer of 2008 has been a tough one for the tomato. Are they safe? Have people gotten sick from them? Luckily, I have had access to lots of locally grown tomatoes. Local farmers have been on our local news to assure us locals that local, East Tennessee tomatoes are safe.

During this whole are they/aren't they safety issue, everything that I have seen on the television or read has stated that the little cherry berry or grape tomatoes are safe, and that cooking tomatoes also ensures safe eating.

With that information, I can pass along my recipe with some level of confidence. It calls for grape tomatoes, and requires baking them. This recipe is absolutely scrumptious. I have taken it to several events as a finger food. I never bring any home, and always get requests for the recipe. These tarts are good hot, cold or room temperature. Best of all, they are good any time of day. A nice little brunch buffet could be done with tomato tarts, brown sugar bacon, fruit, coffee and juice.

This recipe is included in the back of my book, Cheaters, Pies, and Lullabies. In these troubled times for tomato-lovers, I hope that I have provided a safe indulgence!



Tomato Tarts


2 cups of sliced grape tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
1/8 cup chopped green onion
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar


1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper
1 refrigerated, rolled pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place tomatoes in colander. Sprinkle with salt and drain for 10 minutes.
Pinch off walnut sized balls of pie dough and press into cups of mini-muffin pan.
Combine tomatoes and remaining ingredients.
Spoon mixture into tart shells.
Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.












4 comments:

zhadi said...

Man oh man, I've totally ignored the tomato danger warnings - we are totally addicted to fresh tomato salads with olive oil and basil... with or without queso fresco or fresh mozzarella cheese!
The tarts sound wonderful...

Marian Allen said...

I ate up all our fresh tomatoes and had to buy some at the farmer's market (there was only one farmer there). We had one broiled with breakfast this morning, with butter, salt and pepper on it.

Deb Baker said...

I usually avoid anything having to do with flour and water, but this looks simple and yummy. I'm going to the store.

Gayle said...

I really enjoy tomatoes, too, especially this time of year.