Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thanks for the invite!



Thanks to Dana and Gayle for the invite to become a member of the Fatal Foodies.


This is all new to me since I’ve never blogged before. I read a lot of them, but just haven’t put my fingers to the keys and actually put in my two cents anywhere. Fatal Foodies is a great place to start since food rates high on my priority list.


I'm not sure I could write or read a book that wasn't permeated with food. My protagonist, Liza Wilcox, survives on take-out, diet Coke, black licorice, and Peanut M & M's. Thank God she had the good sense to fall in love with a small time sheriff who loves to cook. In the first book, Death is Clowning Around, there is lots of food but no recipes. Then in the second, Apple Pots and Funeral Plots, I’ve added a wonderful recipe for apple cobbler in the epilogue.

Right now, I’m editing the third in the series (no title at the moment) and I’m drooling over the warm, chocolate melting cake that Liza’s being feed by her boyfriend. It’s actually a cake I fell in love with last summer during a cruise to the Mexican Rivera. I had the same dessert every night! It’s warm, gooey, chocolaty, and melts in your mouth. Adding this to the book allowed me to spend days on the Internet searching for the recipe. Now I’ve got five to try …..yum!

I didn't start out to write a series that included a recipe, but it seems to be going in that direction. Sometimes food has a mind of its own.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Welcome to the group, Peggy! We're happy to have you join us. :-)

Marian Allen said...

Peggy,I know what you mean, about having difficulty writing anything that isn't permeated with food! Not EVERYTHING I write has food in it, but almost everything does, even if it's only tea. What we eat and how and when we eat it is so basic to us. Maybe that's why poisoning is such a nasty crime--not just because it's so sneaky but because it's such a betrayal of trust. Food nourishes. There's a particular evil--or a particular justice, depending on whether the eater/victim is innocent or monstrous--in causing the victim to welcome the agent of death into his/her body.

Anyway, glad to have you with us!

zhadi said...

Hi,Peggy! Glad to see you here!

I think chocolate lava cakes (which is what I call the cake you described) is one of THE best desserts ever. Trader Joe's has them two to a box in their frozen dessert section and they are absolutely scrumptious. Homemade is even better!