Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Orange Chocolate Granita

I posted this during our open mic night last Tuesday, and promised I'd post it again today, so here it is:

Chocolate Orange Granita
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 cup orange juice
1 tsp orange peel
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 oz chopped dark chocolate
Boil sugar, water, juice. Remove from heat, stir in rest, pour into dish, freeze, stir every hour until frozen.

What does this have to do with fatality? Welllll.... Suppose you mixed in some Amaretto and some potassium cyanide? Does that get me back on topic?

One thing we haven't talked about (I think) is violence ABOUT food. I hunt mushrooms in the spring and one year I found a neighbor child poaching in my patch. As it happened, we came to an agreement on where and when we would each hunt, but I couldn't help thinking that two lesser people might have entered a deadly encounter, or at least an acrimonious one. That could lead to violence or put one under suspicion if the other came to harm. I mean, when somebody teased me that they THOUGHT bears ate mushrooms, I said, "I pity the bear I catch doing it." If my lawyer got 'shroomers on the jury, I couldn't be convicted of any act against any poacher, I guarantee.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Thank you, Marian, for posting the granita recipe again. It sounds delicious.

zhadi said...

oooh, decadent! I read your post while eating a butterscotch square and chocolate truffle from See's... It worked!