Wednesday, July 9, 2008

More Than Just Big Boobs and Big Hair

What in the heck does Dolly Parton have to do with Fatal Foodies? Before I answer, I ask my fellow Fatal Foodies, did your passions for food and reading begin early in childhood? Mine did.
Dolly Parton is an East Tennessee girl. While I don't know this for sure, I bet she can thow down a mean mess of collard greens and fried chicken. What I do know is that she helps foster an early love of reading for many children. Check out her Imagination Library:
This program provides one hardcover book per month to children in participating states and counties. There are no income guidelins. The only requirement is that the child resides in a participating county. I got my daughter's form from our local library.
My daughter loves getting her "Dolly Parton books" in the mail. If Calli, who gets books whenever she wants, is so excited to receive a book in the mail, I can only imagine what this program means to kids who don't have easy access to books.
Dolly Parton is helping to encourage a future generation of readers. Hey, and if they love food just as much, they'll be Fatal Foodies!
Food is about to mean even more to me. I'm pregnant! It's 3:30 a.m., and I'm up because I got hungry. I just had Vanilla Wafers and Tampico Orange Drink, a disgusting combination if I weren't pregnant. The collard greens I mentioned above also sound really good!
If you haven't' had collard greens, give them a try. Look for them in the produce section of your supermarket, or at a farmer's market. A whole bunch will shrink down to almost nothing as they cook. Here's how I make mine:
In a large skillet, fry turkey bacon. Remove bacon from skillet and crumble. Add greens to skillet. Pour some chicken broth, a shake of hotsauce and balsamic vinvergar over greens. Cook until greens are wilted and liquid is absorbed. Take off heat. Add crumbled bacon, and serve.
This recipe is much less fattening than traditional collard greens. Try it!!!!

6 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Our library is doing the "Dolly Parton books". The sign-up kick-off was PACKED with kids and their parents--it was terrific to see so many young readers and the grown-ups who support and encourage them.

I've never warmed up to collards. I'm a kale girl. I usually cook kale in a pressure cooker with a quartered onion, plenty of salt and pepper, and a drizzle of garlic-flavored olive oil. Sometimes I cook it the same way in a covered non-pressure pot, slowly, with just the water I wash the greens in. Or I tear the leaves up small and put them in stir-fry or soup.

Congratulations on your coming little one. I hope he or she gives you as much joy as mine have given me--the one I gave birth to and the three I married into!

Gayle said...

Lisa, when I first saw the title of your post, I thought, "What? Is she talking about me?" But since the title didn't go on to include "big butt," I breathed a sigh of relief. Seriously, great post. I wish the Virginia libraries would do "the Dolly Parton books." It's a terrific program.

Congratulations again on your pregnancy. Keep us posted. Oooh, I know, let's throw Lisa a shower!!!! Here, at the Fatal Foodies Blog!!!!

zhadi said...

I've never heard of Dolly's book program, but I've always liked her 'cause she seems like a genuinely warm person.

I've never had collards, but anything combined with bacon, be it pork or turkey, sounds good to me...

zhadi said...

And congrats on your impending hatchling! :-)

gayle, you're in charge of the shower! How does one throw a virtual shower? Let's do it!

Gayle said...

I have no idea how to throw a virtual shower, but we'll come up with something! :-D

Lisa Hall said...

A virtual baby shower sounds like so much fun!