Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fatal Food

One of my sons-in-law spent the weekend in the hospital, bleeding from...er...the southern exposure. I know--ick!--but it's relevant to the topic.

Ulcers, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other gastro-intestinal disturbances can be fatal, and they can be created, exacerbated or relieved by diet. What a murder weapon--a deadly diet that would go totally unnoticed in today's America!

My dear friend Jeannine, one of the Southern Indiana Writers, wrote a story for our NOVEL INGREDIENTS anthology (every story had a recipe with it) in which a man was due to be killed by the love of his wife, who made him all his favorite foods--all fattening, high in cholesterol and massive in quantity.

You are what you eat, so make sure what you eat is healthy, yes?

Off my soapbox. ;)

6 comments:

zhadi said...

Moderation and enjoyment...not too much of a good thing, but not denial either! That's my motto...

I have IBS as well, so my sympathies to your son in law!

Gayle said...

Oh, no! I hope your SIL is doing okay now. I try not to think about what could be in my food. I read something the other day about the substances that could be in milk. I like milk...I buy fat-free milk, so I thought I was doing well, but then I read that. UGH! I say a prayer and drink it or pour it over my cereal anyway.

zhadi said...

Gayle, the organic milk is more expensive, but worth it... it doesn't have all that icky stuff in it. Trader Joe's also has really high quality milk without the BST et al in it...

Gayle said...

This woman said milk could even have (gulp) pus and blood in it. Say it ain't so!

Marian Allen said...

Gayle, commercial milk is pasteurized, homogenized and sterilized. Don't worry about it. You eat eggs, don't you? -evil grin-

Gayle said...

Thank you, Marian. And, yes, I do eat eggs. I just try not to think of them as chicken fetuses. ;-)